- Sleeps: 2-7 per unit (24 total)
- Bedrooms: 8 apartments
- Bathroom: 1 per apartment
- Minimum stay: 2 nights (Friday arrivals)
Haunted castles don’t come more spine-shiveringly authentic than Chillingham, a 13th century, Grade 1 Star-listed fortress in rural Northumberland.
Here you’ll discover a captivating juxtaposition of beautiful gardens, sparkling fountains, impossibly grand royal halls, and an elegant tearoom, with a terrifying torture chamber, a hidden dungeon with its ancient prisoner carvings still visible…
…and a legendary cast of supernatural characters, some of whom you may be able to meet on a guided ghost tour!
If you’re brave enough, you can even opt to rest your heads in one of the castle’s eight characterful apartments. Each sleeps between 2-7 guests, so you can enjoy a romantic or family retreat with a comfortable (if perhaps a little eerie!) difference.
Better still, you’ll find that each individually styled apartment has its own fascinating story to tell. The Guard Room, perfect for two, was once the setting for the relief watchmen to sleep soundly, before taking their turn on guard.
The Grey apartment boasts a twin bedroom and a double four-poster room, and is nestled in the heart of the ancient castle, with its fine Elizabethan Long Gallery and early carved chimney piece, and its windows that overlook the medieval courtyard.
Meanwhile, the Coaching Rooms sleep up to 7 guests, in fine, high timbered surroundings that once provided comfort from those long and ferocious hours of travelling.Keep reading
At a glance
- A 13th century, Grade 1 Star-listed castle in rural Northumberland, once famed for its battles and activity, set just 20 minutes from the coast.
- The castle is famous for its paranormal activity, boasting some of the highest levels in the country. There has been a wealth of sightings – could you be the next to spot a spirit?
- There are gardens and a tearoom to spend time in… while alongside the grand royal halls, the castle is also home to a torture chamber and a ‘hidden’ dungeon.
- If you’re brave enough to rest your heads at the castle, there are 8 individually styled apartments to choose from:
- The Guard Room (2 guests)
- The Grey Apartment/The Courtyard Apartment/The Tower Apartment (4 guests)
- The Lookout (5 guests)
- The Landseer Apartment/The Dairy (6 guests)
- The Coaching Rooms (7 guests)
- Boost your chances of a creepy encounter with a night-guided ghost tour of the castle and grounds, or arrange to meet the herd of rare, once-sacred cattle – otherwise known as the Wild Beasts of Chillingham!
- Large Groups
8 individually styled apartments in a 13th century castle, each sleeps 2-7 guests with kitchen facilities provided:
The Guard Room (2 guests, 1 double bedroom)
Grey Apartment (4 guests, 1 double, 1 twin)
Courtyard Apartment (4 guests, 1 double, 1 twin, ground floor bathroom)
Tower Apartment (4 guests, 1 twin or kingsize, 1 double sofa bed)
Lookout Apartment (5 guests, 1 twin, 1 double, 1 single)
Landseer Apartment (6 guests, 1 double, 1 twin, 1 double sofa bed, ground floor bathroom)
Dairy Apartment (6 guests, 1 double, 1 twin, 1 double sofa bed, ground floor bathroom)
The Coaching Rooms (7 guests, 2 doubles, 1 twin, separate kitchen)
Walking, cycling, gardens, tearoom, wildlife watching, ghost tours, beaches, watersports.
While you could be lucky enough to encounter a ghostly resident by day, your best chance of encountering the many wandering spirits will be to take a night-led, guided ghost tour of the castle and its grounds.
You could meet the White Pantry Ghost, a frail, pale figure who begs for water. Or it’s possible that you’ll overhear the echoing Voices in the Chapel; two men who are often heard talking incoherently. And who knows just what strange apparitions you’ll spot gliding through the moonlit courtyard?
But if you prefer meeting living, breathing creatures, you could always book an appointment with the Wild Beasts of Chillingham – otherwise known as the only wild cattle in the world.
The rare, sole survivors of once-sacred herds that roamed the forests and defended the castle, you can arrange a guided visit with their warden, who will explain the cattle’s mesmerising history and way of life.
(And of course, with the sweeping Northumberland coast a mere 20 minutes away, you can spend the day after your (spine)Chilling-ham ghost tour on a fun-filled trip to the seaside – a perfect antidote, should you feel in need of one!)
Things to note
There is no access to the castle during the winter season. Private tours/ghost tours can be arranged by request. Please note that the ghost tours are not suitable for children under 16, although family tours can be arranged.
Where you'll be staying
You might also like
Appears in these collections
"*" indicates required fields