- Sleeps: 2-5 per treehouse
- Bedroom: Varies
- Bathroom: 1 per treehouse
- Minimum stay: 1 night
Peppered with mountains, exquisite hidden villages, medieval ruins, and deep, lush valleys, the Monts d’Ardèche Natural Park is a uniquely magical setting that’s just begging to be explored.
Those who enjoy living the high life will revel in the views of this exceptional landscape from their soaring haven at Les Cabanes de Labrousse, home to nine innovative, individual treehouses perched at various heights amongst whispering Douglas firs and chestnut trees.
(Some of the treehouses are so high up that they require a helmet and a harness to access…which is perfect if you’ve got a head for heights, a love of nature, and a childlike sense of adventure!)
Each treehouse sleeps 2-5 people, with four that are ideal for families. Choose the highest treehouses – Squirrel and Hedgehog, set almost ten metres up – for a rush of ground-leaving adrenaline and the most magnificent views, while Beaver, Panda, and Bear are the lowest and largest treehouses set around four-and-a-half metres above ground.
You’ll find a handy eco-toilet inside your treehouse (so you won’t have to keep on donning that harness every time you need the loo!) – with piping hot showers and flushing toilets accessible at ground level.
You’ll also be surrounded by hand-crafted furniture, ‘proper’ beds, a table and chairs…and of course, a spacious veranda to take in those ever-changing views for as long and as often as you like.
The best part of your break? The tasty breakfast basket, delivered every morning by Filou or Blueberry, the friendly Labrousse donkeys. Listen out for their breakfast bell, then simply winch the basket up to your treehouse for a delicious, birdsong-accompanied start to the day.Keep reading
At a glance
- Nine innovative, family-friendly treehouses that each sleep 2-5 people, perched at varying heights amongst Douglas fir and chestnut trees, in the woodland of France’s Monts d’Ardèche Natural Park.
- Note that some of the highest-placed treehouses (Squirrel is the highest, at 10 metres above ground) require a helmet and a harness for access. Full safety training will be provided.
- Each treehouse features individual hand-crafted furnishings and a dry eco-toilet. Full washing, electricity and toilet facilities are housed in a dedicated block on ground level.
- Please bring bedding, sleeping bags and plenty of warm clothing, as the treehouses are not heated.
- Breakfast is delivered each day by one of the site’s friendly resident donkeys, Filou and Blueberry. Evening meal hampers can also be pre-ordered for collection.
- There are many hiking and cycling trails in the surrounding area, along with wild swimming spots and quaint villages to explore.
- Family Friendly
There are nine treehouses available to rent for between 2-5 people, each with bed, table, chairs and toilet facilities. Breakfast is included. Shower facilities at ground level. None of the treehouses have electricity or heating, and sleeping bags/bedding/towels should be brought with you.
Hiking, cycling, vineyards, canoeing, trout fishing, scenic railway, velorail.
(Locally-sourced evening meal hampers can be pre-ordered, too, though you’ll have to collect those from reception yourself!)
While you’ll feel miles away from civilisation in your leafy sanctuary, there’s plenty to do in the surrounding area. For starters, there are dedicated wild swimming spots for that energising morning or pre-dinner dip, while keen cyclists will adore the seemingly endless Dolce Via trail through the woodland. Of course, there’s plenty for hikers and would-be mountaineers to love, too.
Jump in the car for a half-hour drive to the quaint village of Désaignes if you prefer an authentic sense of local life – with a history lesson thrown in. Here you’ll find original city walls that are home to an awe-inspiring 14th century château, a Roman church, and a museum.
Head back to your childhood-fantasy treehouse at the end of yet another action-and-relaxation-packed day, as you raise a welcome toast to the blazing sunset.
(Oh – and don’t worry if you didn’t manage to squeeze everything in during your stay…because we’re pretty confident you’ll be back!)
Things to note
Pets are not permitted to stay. A local tourist tax is applicable, enquire for details. Check in is from 4pm, check out at 11am. Children who are accompanied and between 3-12 can stay in the treehouses.