- Sleeps: 6 per lodge
- Bedrooms: 3 per lodge
- Bathroom: 1 per lodge
- Minimum stay: 2 nights
You’ll find it incredibly hard to believe that Shillingridge is a mere 35 miles from the bustle of London. A stunning 30-acre smallholding set by the chocolate-box riverside town of Marlow on Thames, this is the ideal place to get lost in the slow lane of life.
In fact, you may even feel you’ve seen the surrounding area somewhere before. Affectionately known by some as ‘Midsomer County’, you’ll have the chance to retrace the footsteps of Inspector Barnaby himself during your stay.
That is, if you can tear yourselves away from Shillingridge itself. Characterised by whispering trees, vast starry skies, and a friendly welcoming committee of horses and chickens, you’re sure to feel immediately at home.
(With a paddock, hay, and parking for your horse transport all available, you can even bring your own faithful steed along with you!)
You’ll have two luxury safari lodges to choose from, both sleeping up to six people in sumptuous and secluded comfort. Watch red kites from the scenic decking, or take refuge in your freestanding roll top slipper bath, filled to the brim with bubbles and boasting woodland views…the choice is completely yours.
There’s also a cosy, cushion-covered sofa to curl up on with a good book, and two stylish bedrooms – one double and one twin, plus a double cabin bed. With fresh linen, blankets, downy duvets and hot water bottles all supplied, you’ll find it hard to resist the lure of the lie in!
Mealtimes are made ridiculously easy, with your own well-equipped rustic kitchen, a wood-burning range cooker, and a gas barbecue. Order a farm-fresh breakfast or barbecue hamper, or treat yourselves to a meal out. There are plenty of pubs and restaurants close by, including Tom Kerridge’s Michelin-starred pub, The Hand and Flowers.Keep reading
At a glance
- Two luxury safari lodges, each sleeping up to six people, perfectly secluded on a friendly family-run smallholding in the Chiltern Hills, by the riverside town of Marlow on Thames.
- The lodges each boast a well-equipped kitchen, and an indulgent bathroom with power shower and freestanding roll top slipper bath.
- With absolutely everything you need provided, all you’ll have to pack are clothing and a sturdy pair of wellies!
- A paddock, hay and parking for horse transport can be arranged if you’re bringing your faithful steed.
- There is a cosy communal area on site, furnished with sofas, hammocks and an evening campfire. Farm-fresh breakfast and barbecue hampers, along with picnic lunches, can be ordered in advance.
- There are plenty of opportunities to cycle, walk and ride in the surrounding area. Take a tour of ‘Midsomer County’, take a river cruise to Windsor, or visit Tom Kerridge’s local Michelin-starred pub.
- Family Friendly
Two safari lodges sleep 6, double bedroom, twin bedroom, double cabin bed, bedding & towels provided, hot water bottles, private bathroom, free-standing roll-top slipper bath, power shower, rustic kitchen, 4 ring gas hob, fridge, breakfast & BBQ baskets, kitchen equipment, dining table & chairs living area, sofa, armchair, board & card games, outdoor deck, gas BBQ, outdoor furniture, parking.
Horse riding, cycling, walking, hiking, clay pigeon shooting, wildlife spotting.
You’ll find there’s always plenty to see and do, both on and off site. Help collect fresh eggs in the morning and watch for roaming deer, before heading out to explore. This is the perfect place for you to bring your bike, or hire an electric one if you don’t fancy tackling all those hills unaided!
Take a leisurely trip on a river cruise to Windsor via Marlow’s stunning Higginson Park, or head for the bridleways with your horse. Picnic lunches – and even a picnic saddlebag – can be arranged with Shillingridge in advance. If you prefer to shop ‘til you drop, Bicester Shopping Village is close by; a tourist hotspot in its own right.
Head back to your Shillingridge sanctuary, where you can relax by the communal firepit just in time to greet the sunset (you’ll find comfy sofas, hammocks and homemade cake here in the afternoons, too). Equipped with absolutely everything a dream holiday needs, it’s finally time to relax.
Things to note
Check in is from 3pm, check out is 11am. No pets are permitted. No smoking permitted. No open fires. There is no WiFi, but 4G is usually available.