Kolarbyn Eco Lodge
- Premier host
- Skinnskatteberg, Västmanland
- See on map
- Sleeps: 2-5 per hut
- Bathroom: Compost toilets
- Minimum stay: 2 nights (summer season)
Welcome to “Sweden’s most primitive hotel” – Kolarbyn Eco Lodge, a peaceful gathering of charcoal huts surrounded by lush spruce forest.
With no electricity or running water, you’re blissfully free at Kolarbyn Eco Lodge to luxuriate in life’s natural delights, surrounded by morning birdsong and the soothing sound of crackling fire by evening.
Located within beautiful spruce forest outside Skinnskatteberg, Sweden, you’ll find twelve cosy candlelit charcoal huts, each equipped with two bunks furnished with inflatable mattresses and ridiculously warm sheepskin rugs (an extra bunk can be supplied for children if needed). Other off-grid accommodation options include a timber lodge.
Eco-friendly to the last, all Kolarbyn accommodation is crafted from natural materials and some of the proceeds from your stay will go directly towards preserving the beauty of the local environment. There are plenty of areas for recycling and you’ll find compost toilets on site, while bathing in the lake is the perfect way to immerse yourselves in nature.
Once you’ve feasted your eyes upon these majestic, energising forest surroundings, you’ll see exactly why eco-friendliness is at the forefront with Kolarbyn.
Chop your own wood for the fireplace, collect pure water from the spring, and if you’re in the mood for a snack, you’ll even be able to pick juicy blueberries from the roof…this is the natural life as you’ve never lived before, and the perfect antidote to a stressful life in the city.
You’ll find plenty of dedicated barbecue areas dotted around the forest for cooking, simply choose your favourite spot and build your fire. Purchase meal ingredients from the local supermarket, just 4km from the forest, or select delicious food items from an extensive selection in the kitchen area, including fresh bread, eggs, chocolate, cheese, pasta and caviar. Once you’ve prepared and eaten your own tasty meals by the sparkling lake Skärsjön, al fresco will be the only way to dine well!Keep reading
At a glance
- Completely off-grid and renowned as “Sweden’s most primitive hotel”, eco-friendly Kolarbyn is situated in spruce forest just outside Skinnskatteberg, and consists of 11 charcoal hut and a small timber lodge.
- Ideal for couples and small families who want to exchange their e-dominated lives for a taste of the natural world!
- Stockholm Västerås Airport is just under 60km from the forest site, with Skinnskatteberg Station 4km away.
- Accommodation is furnished with a woodburner, candles and mattresses with sheepskin rugs. Sleeping bags and additional bedding can be rented. Please pack warm, weather-resistant clothing and footwear, plus towels, water bottles and additional bedding as needed.
- Facilities include compost toilets and a nearby stream for washing and water supply. A ten-person floating sauna can be hired, and food can be pre-ordered for self-catering meals prepared at the many firepits available. A kitchen area and a communal hut are also available.
- Excursions including day trips, beaver safari and visits to a local spa can be booked by request. There are numerous hiking trails in the forest, and boats can be hired for travelling the lake.
- Family Friendly
- Large Groups
Charcoal huts sleep up to 2 adults and 1 child, two bunks, inflatable mattress, extra bed (on request), sheepskin, stove, firewood, candles, matches, kitchenware, breakfast and 2hrs of flaring sauna inclusion. A large charcoal hut sleeping up to 5 is also available – enquire for details.
Sauna, spa, hiking, horse riding, mindfulness hiking, moose safari, wildlife spotting, birdwatching, beaver safari, guided fishing, snowshoe hiking, bushcraft/survival techniques.
Make new friends in the snug community hut, or take in all that pure air by hiking the many forest trails. You’ll also find plenty of beautiful lakeside spots for fishing…and for a special treat, why not rent a session in the ten-person floating sauna?
If you prefer to sightsee by sea, a rowing boat and canoes are available to hire. Armed with a map of Skärsjön and a tasty picnic, you can spend an entire day exploring all the beauty of the lake.
Tailor your very own days out, or take advantage of the packages on offer at Kolarbyn, ranging from romantic log cabin adventures with sumptuous picnic baskets, beaver safari and visits to the nearby Färna Manor with Spa, if you’re feeling in need of a pamper session. You’ll be in good company, as the King himself lives on Färna Manor during hunting season.
For a peacefully relaxing break in the midst of nature, simply replace your laptop and your mobile phone with some warm clothing, a camera and a pair of binoculars. Life in the Swedish forest is sweet, and once you’ve tasted it you may never want to log on again!
Minimum age of 18 is required to book a stay at Kolarbyn. The large family hut is suitable for families of 2 adults, 2 children and one young child only due to space. Packages that include the various activities in the region are available to book, enquire for details or view property website. Minimum booking 2 nights during summer season, 1 night otherwise.