A luxurious shepherd's hut with a wood-fired hot tub, set within the grounds of a Grade I listed former royal retreat with views of mesmerising Gloucestershire countryside.
Once a grand hunting lodge used by King Henry VIII himself, the expertly restored, Grade I listed Painswick Lodge is said to date right back to the 12th century.
Gently elevated in a Gloucestershire Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, you can immerse yourselves in magnificent, timeless valley views... just as King Henry and Anne Boleyn once did, on their long honeymoon in 1535.
Surrounded by vast, manicured gardens and grounds that are home to magnificent Arabian horses and rare breed cattle, there Is plenty of space to wander round and enjoy the tranquility.
Complete this luxurious scene with a stay at Tudor Oak, an exquisite shepherd's hut for two. Expertly crafted from Douglas fir, and privately nestled amongst fruit trees and a sweet-scented flower garden, it's hard to imagine a more idyllic setting for a romantic escape.
Better still, you'll find the hut pleasingly packed with high-end creature comforts, including a raised double bed for wondrous morning views, an en-suite shower room, a cooker and a microwave.
There's even electricity, a heater and Wi-Fi access in the garden... although we're confident you'll enjoy disconnecting from hectic everyday life as much as possible!
As if that wasn't enough, you'll be greeted by fresh flowers, and a welcome gift of locally sourced goodies (exactly what you'll receive will be a surprise, but could include a selection of tempting home-made jams, and crisp apple juice from Painswick Lodge itself.)
Make the most of those incredible views with a sizzling sunset supper on the barbecue, followed by a dip in your private wood-fired hot tub. Along with the abundant local wildlife, why not see if you can spot the spire from Painswick's ancient church in the distance?
When it's finally time to head back inside, simply wrap yourselves in the snuggly warm dressing gowns provided, before drifting away to a dreamy night's sleep in sumptuous Egyptian cotton sheets.
For more foodie treats, walk or drive to nearby Stroud, which you'll find packed with artisan shops, and an award-winning farmers' market. If you'd rather sit back and let someone else do the cooking, there are plenty of friendly local pubs nearby, while keen walkers can test out their footwear on the Cotswold Way, just across the valley.
There are plenty of historic towns to visit, and sights to see, so it's unlikely you'll have the chance to get bored.
But if all you feel like doing is relaxing on a sun-lounger and getting lost between the pages of a good book (perhaps looking up every now and again to greet a passing butterfly!) then we wouldn't blame you one bit.
Things to note
Check in from 4pm, check out by 11am. Children and pets are not permitted.
Region: Painswick, Gloucestershire
Cost (from): £150 per night
Minimum stay: 2 nights
Property ref: 1797
FacilitiesLuxury shepherd's hut, sleeps 2 guests. Seating, lighting, heater, cooker, microwave, kitchen equipment, fresh flowers, welcome basket, kettle, 5ft double bed with Egyptian cotton sheets, en-suite shower room with flushing toilet. Linen, towels and dressing gowns provided. Outside: firepit, barbecue, wood-fired hot tub, private garden with sun loungers and rugs.
Walking, cycling, swimming, wildlife spotting, birdwatching, market towns, farmers' markets, artisan shops, coffee stops, historic pubs, restaurants, festivals
At a glance
- A luxurious shepherd's hut for two, secluded amongst fruit trees and a flower garden on the grounds of a Grade I-listed former royal hunting lodge in Gloucestershire, with spectacular English countryside views.
- The hut is self-contained, with an en-suite shower room, and a cooker and microwave (though you may prefer firing up the barbecue for a sizzling sunset supper out on the terrace!) There is electricity, a heater and Wi-Fi in the garden.
- After you've dined, why not relax in your private wood-fired hot tub and do some stargazing?
- The grounds are home to abundant wildlife. There are sun-loungers and rugs out in the private garden for you to enjoy.
- Fresh flowers and a locally sourced selection of goodies are provided on arrival.
- Visit historic Painswick, or head into Stroud for artisan shopping and coffee stops and award winning Farmers Market. Cheltenham and Cirencester can be reached in under half an hour.